WHAT IS JACKFRUIT ?
- The jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus), also known as jack tree, jackfruit, or sometimes simply jack or jak is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family (Moraceae).
- It is native to parts of South and Southeast Asia and is believed to have originated in Kerala’s lush green rain forests of the Western Ghats in the southern part of Indian subcontinent.
- The jackfruit tree is well suited to tropical lowlands, and its fruit is the largest tree-borne fruit, reaching as much as 35 kg (80 lb) in weight, 90 cm (35 in) in length, and 50 cm (20 in) in diameter.The jackfruit tree can produce about 100 to 200 fruits in a year and is the largest fruit in the world. Jack fruit trees are easy to cultivate and require minimal irrigation.The tree provides dye, latex and timber.
- Unlike some fruits, the whole of the jackfruit (except for its rough exterior) is edible. The seeds can be boiled, roasted, or ground into flour, depending on the dish you’re making. The flesh, which looks like orange-yellow colour bulbs, is what makes this fruit so versatile. It can be made into ice cream, chips, jam, soup, candy, and more. You can slice it into a fruit salad or use it in a jam, jelly, or chutney.
- Jack fruit could be eaten fresh or cooked, young or matured
- When cooked the unripe fruit has a texture and feel similar to pulled pork. Thus it is great for pulled ‘pork’ sandwiches and appeals to both meat-eaters and non-meat eaters alike.
- The fruit has become increasingly popular among vegans across the world because it mimics the texture of meat. It cause least or no harm to animals and is better for the planet.
- You may have come across two seemingly different types of jackfruit in the market. Don’t be confused. These are both the same fruit at different stages of ripeness. One is mature and the other is young and green. The young green Jack fruit is used in making savoury food like burgers, curries, burritos, nachos, tacos, wraps, and sandwiches. The ripe version of the fruit is used in ice cream, smoothie, and various deserts.
It is hailed as the miracle crop and is a nutritional bonanza. It’s a good source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
They are high in minerals like zinc, folate, iron, copper, calcium, vitamin (A,B6,C), magnesium, potassium, thiamine and riboflavin. They’re also rich in energy and free from saturated fats or cholesterol. The seeds are high in protein (with 7 grams per 100 grams).
Listed are few of the many health benefits of Jackfruit.
- Boosts Immune System. Jackfruit contains a wealth of antioxidants
- Jackfruit Improves Energy Levels
- Beneficial for the Cardiovascular System
- Control and eliminate Diabetics
- Increases Red Blood Cell Count and Prevents Anemia
- Improves Digestion
- Prevents Colon Cancer
- Protects Eyes
- Reduces Asthma Symptoms
- Has Anti-aging Properties
- Promotes Bone Health
- Increases Sperm Count
and many more….